Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm now a CERTIFIED MAROON!!!


I decided to take up a bachelor degree in Psychology because for me it is so broad that I knew I can gain so much wisdom. But throughout my course of study, industrial psychology has been much appealing to me. Right then I knew this is the field for me and I envisioned myself working in the corporate world.
Being a psych-graduate, it has been a constant longing to broaden my knowledge through a degree in graduate school. April 2004-right after college, my ultimate goal was to take up my masters. To make it happen, I visited the University of the Philippines Diliman to inquire and then I found myself in SOLAIR (School of Labor and Industrial Relations). I believe I was in the perfect place…I as review their curriculum I know this is for me…
I originally got my inspiration to take up a graduate program in Industrial Relations from my father who was a former Union President. I saw his pain together with the rest of the employees who had no choice but accept a severance pay when the hotel closed down and was then decided upon by the owner to be replaced as a condominium. From my Father and from the said incident, I saw the importance of industrial relations, witnessed how it functioned and longed to know more about it.
When I asked the admin staff of how the process would go, she told me that I should have at least 2 years of working experience under human resources. I was disappointed but I said to myself “I could wait…”
Over the years, I worked as a customer service representative for a couple of call centers. In the world of customer service, you receive complaints all the time and the ultimate goal is to work towards the satisfaction of the customer. I believe my short stint gave great lessons and served as a bridge towards what I would wanted to pursue. With my current employer, I started as an agent and was later on promoted to be a part of the Human Resources Team. 2008- was my second year in human resources... I believe knowledge can never be applied without experience...I am much thankful that I gained the experience in customer service plus the privilege to work for Human Resources where I was exposed to the different facets of hr. This background has supplied me with many skills and an understanding of not only hr but of the corporate world. This has sparked my hunger for additional wisdom. And from here I know I’m ready. . .
I believe the input I’d be able to gain would be very helpful and I look forward to putting my knowledge and experience into practice. I am very much excited as this had been a long term goal and I believe this would be beneficial in building my career path.
And so I now have the guts to apply and I went through the process of preparing the admission requirements plus the dread of asking my boss for a personal recommendation letter. And when everything was ready, I passed the requirements and finally got the test permit bearing my applicant number: 10809028. The number 8 is my favorite number I hope it would bring me luck!!!
The admission test was held last March 29- Saturday. To prepare, 3 days before that, I went to PowerBooks greenbelt and took time to review college admission test reviewers to update and refresh myself. On the day of the test, I felt jitters, aside from the fact that my hubby and I were on the rocks that time. I felt I wasn’t ready enough. And the test started. The format from the college admission test reviewers were the same but the questions were thrice as difficult. None of what I reviewed appeared in the test. What made it more difficult was the essay portion, wherein I’m not sure of my answers because I don’t have enough knowledge of the topic. After the test I meet up with my college friends feeling depressed I told them I’m sure I wouldn’t pass and I will flunk the test. ..I was so frustrated…
We were given a week until the release of the admission test results. Right after holy week, Tuesday-April 8, I called the given numbers to know if I passed the entrance exam and to my surprise…I PASSED THE TEST!!! I was in tears! I just couldn’t believe it!!! April 12- I attended the Orientation… And yeah…I can sense it-the fulfillment of my long term goal!!!
I went through the difficulty of pre-enlisting my classes. I was approved of a late leave and my pre-enlisted classes were not approved in crs. I had to take two more leaves and finally I was able to enroll…although the schedule I got would be very tiring for me as I have to travel all the way to UP after my shift it’s definitely worth all this difficulty. And this is it-I am finally enrolled and now bearing my student number-2008-78083. I guess the number “8” gave me luck but I’m more than thankful to the guy up there, I know he had prepared this perfect time for me… And so now I’m a CERTIFIED MAROON!!! Cheers!!!