Wednesday, June 13, 2007

mY LosT sMiLe...

The jolly English-speaking Guard (well. I can say he does speak pretty good English) spoke to me and said: “Mam, smile…Every time I see you, worry seems to cover your face and you are so close to frowning.” I replied, defending myself a bit and trying to be a little funny: “Kuya, it’s because the only time that you see me is at the end of the day, when my entire energy is drained and I’m so exhausted I can’t even afford to smile. You should see me in the morning! I’m really pretty and fresh!” Thinking aside I told myself: “Ei, what a great excuse…”
When people ask me “What’s your job?”…I get startled coz I could not give any definite answer…and I’m left thinking… I am a receptionist, front desk officer to make it sound better but there’s more to being one at our office since I play both the role of a receptionist & an hr assistant. I man the reception from 8am to 3pm then attend to my other hr duties from 3 pm onwards… I can proudly say I’m really close to being a super girl with everything I’ve been thorough because of this job! But believe me; being a receptionist in our office is no joke! You’re talking about the call center recruitment set-up which is really “blood-draining”.Let me start by giving you an idea of how an entire day at the reception goes for me…The moment I sit upfront, without having placed my bag down nor even arrange the registration clipboards, both agents and applicants would swarm you with questions. Well, I would then try my best to provide them the best answer. What comes after would be giving these applicants instructions on the process of application and checking their names on our system for previous application, then the proctor would be asking for the applicants, you call them one by one and direct them to the testing area. Most often, the proctor is so demanding that she becomes so annoying then. You think that’s all? We’ll brace yourself coz on top of that would be the ringing phones that you would need to answer, entertaining queries for agents, providing them the forms they need (coz reception would be the sole source) directing both visitors to the place they needed to be, calling people for interviews-initial, staff & exit, clearances…all at the same time (at times I feel like a human megaphone…). And all of this I’ve been doing for almost a year now…) that’s why I can say... “I can withstand anything!”


Here are the things I really hate about being upfront:


1-A mix of the characteristics of applicants-they could be so knowledgeable that they think they know better than you… and they could be so stupid that even at the point of giving them the clearest instructions…they still don’t follow.

2-Agents processing their clearances & exit interviews-you set the rules, allot a particular time for the said process, but they come so late. They make the usual “pakiusap” then give you the darnest reasons to convince you to break the rules and if they don’t succeed… they nag at you, shout at you, frown at you and even say cursing words… One more thing... Even though they are registered they won’t stop to make “kulit” if they would be next, when you’re actually the busiest person in the world and to think monitoring them is not the only thing you do…

3-The registration and releasing of Coe- you give them the forms with all the instructions but they would really expect you to explain to them where they would need to give the form & when they could get it. And then come “Friday” the release, when the Coe’s are not yet signed… They would express their disappointment in the nastiest way.

4-The fact that you really have to explain everything to the agents when in fact they could actually read the instructions or the process themselves

5-The fact that they would never understand that payroll & hr are two separate departments, every little mistake payroll does, they account it to hr & especially to me coz I’m the 1st person they see upfront.

6-The fact that you only get to enjoy exactly 1 hr break, say good-bye to your 15 minutes break. And you’d be autistic and not get in tune with what’s happening co’z the idea is that- all I have to care about is the reception area.


And the top three qualities you should have to survive:


1-Self-righteousness- they should always think that you know better coz your from HR and they should never catch you off guard not knowing the process or the information co’z believe me they would bring you down and make you feel so stupid. So, though you are not so familiar, better yet speak like you really know it!

2-Super Confidence- no matter how harsh they could get, you could never be dethroned. They think that playing nasty talk with you could bring your confidence down? They have to think twice.

3-Drop it all attitude-just leave all the hurt in the workplace…all the excess baggage should stay where they should.


I could definitely attest “life at the reception is like a battleground where you should always be in defense”. And to quote Tim Yap “I am the type of person they love to love and love to hate…”which is true... I can be the nice and sweet but I admit I am at most time “masungit” with the pressure and stress that I’ve lived to for the past 1 year…Who wouldn’t? So when Kuya Guard tells me “Mam, smile…” I’d rather say… “I hope you understand… I’m so stressed and tired… the day had been like hell for me…” No more explanations…no further questions asked…